Welcome friends! You're in Alex & Mila's blog. We're traveling by bike and our travel has neither time limit no certain route. Now we have no idea where the road will bring us and where we'll be tomorrow. We just live in free travel style, look around, meet new people and enjoy our life! And on these pages you can follow our journey and share all the adventures with us. Welcome again!

Jul 23, 2012

Departure from St. Petersburg and transportation of a bicycle by the airplane

Hi!
Mila broadcasting.
So, I have started the unlimited travel. Now I go to Greece, then further to the east. The aim is to travel as long as it's possible.
This is a post about leaving Russia and road adventures on the way to Athens.
28.06.12. I was packing my things and slowly driving mad. My friend Tamara came to help me and we started driving mad together. We loaded my lagguage on Alter Ego (my bike's name), and it looks not so bad. But Tamara is still hezitating if it's gonna work or not.



Calling to the next member of mourners team. Her name is Rezeda and her phone is off.


Rezeda is not available...

Well..I'm going to subway station Primorskaya then by metro to the railway station and then to Moscow.

I packed it as I could. It's first time I removed the wheel: pulled eccentric, unscrewed the brake. I'm a beginner without any experience.

Ready to go. The bike is very light.

We came to the railway station on Vosstaniya square. This is my team eating shaverma (meat-roll) and drinking coffee.

We don't have a special store for bikes in our trains, so I had to put the bike on the uppest shelf where people usually put their lagguage. There was not such shelf above my seat so I used the neighbour's one. But my neighbuor, drunk idiot, didn't want to have it there. So he just put my bike to the second shelf and I had to watch it whole night long, cause the bike was trying to fall down all the time.

Good bye, my lovely Russia!

Arriving to Moscow. I assembled the bike right in the carrige.

My friend boltunist met me in Moscow, showed how to work on the bike, change the wheels etc. He also introduced me to his dog named Eva. This is Eva in a special backpack for driving with the dogs=))

We had a ride, ate and came to Belorussky railway to get a train to Sheremet'evo airport. Here we packed the bike for the flight, wrapping the most important parts into film-heater, which people usually put under the laminate on the floor.


Almost ready. 25m of И уже совсем сложили. 25 м of tape+5 ropes from the tent+ 1m of  film-heater+ a lot of patience.


This is my friend who helped me with the bike. And when I came to the airport one man suggested to help me to carry the bike to the trolley place. Thank you, my friends!


People in the airport were badly surprised to see me with this trolley. They usually made big eyes, saying "Oh my God!" and tried to stay away from me.


Then kind airport workers let me register free. Total weight of baggage: 15 kg bike, 5 kg of bike bag; hand luggage: 6 kg in a backpack and 4 kg bag compression bag of rags.
We are landing in Athens.


I was assembling Alter probably an hour. Damage is minimum - a chain has fallen off.



And  at five o'clock I took off from the airport to Athens by bike. Autobahn was a toll road, I had to ask the way. City begins in three kilometers from the airport, houses are low and scattered everywhere. Somehow I found a local road which is crowling between the mountains. Everybody said, it's 20km, but the bike computer regitered 40km. Late at night I found the house my host from couchsurfing. His name is Murio and he is Brazil. He also travels and hangs at the moment in Greece. 


This is a wonderful view from the window next morning.


That's all about the road to Athens. Next post will be about great time we had there.
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes! Leave your comment here!